- The negotiating power and PR value of a granted patent is obtained earlier
- You can enforce your patent rights sooner
- A financial backer may be more willing to support the invention
- You may have a better idea of the strength and scope of the patent by the time you need to decide whether to file corresponding patents in other countries
- Details of your invention will be published earlier (although this can be avoided if you only request accelerated search and examination)
- The strength (or weakness) of your patent rights will be revealed earlier
- If the invention is still being developed, it may be harder or more expensive to modify the application
- If it will take some time to bring to market, there may be no need to bring the date of grant forward.